Korea University Constitution Article 17 (Leave of Absence), Academic Regulations Article 23 (Application, Approval and Term of Leaves of Absence), Article 24 (Classification of Leaves of Absence), Article 26 (Extension of Special Leaves of Absence), Article 27 (Required Documents for Special Leaves of Absence Application), Article 38 (Length of Studentship), Article 41 (Schedule of Tuition Refund)
Special leaves of absence refer to a leave of absence that is not counted toward the maximum number (six semesters) of terms allowable for general leave of absence.
Leaves of Absence
Leave of absence for childbearing, childbirth, and childcare: Leave of absence for childbearing, childbirth or caring for children aged 8 or younger (maximum two years)
Leave of absence for military service: Leave of absence for the duration of military service (only for mandatory military service)
※ Voluntary extension of military service periods shall be subject to general leave of absence, not leave of absence for military service.
Leave of absence for start-up: Leave of Absence for Start-up (only for the corporate representative; detailed enforcement and regulations are specified separately)
• Submit the application form and the required documents to the Administration Office of your department/division/school.
• Upon submission of an application for a leave of absence, you will receive and must retain the filing receipt
Leave of absence for childbearing, childbirth, and childcare: Medical certificate issued by a hospital, Family Relation Certificate, etc.
Leave of absence for start-up: Applications for a Leave of Absence require the following: Application for consideration of start-up leave, business license (certified copy of corporation registration required for corporations), business plan, recommendation letter from the start-up related department or Academic Advisor, academic transcript for start-up related courses or certificate of attendance for special start-up lecture(s) provided by the start-up related department, additional evidentiary documents for the start-up company introductory letter, portfolio, documents regarding sales, employment, marketing, etc.) Consult the national legislative Act on Special Measures for the Promotion of Venture Businesses.
Leave of absence for military service: notice of military enlistment/conscription (muster notice)
Leave of absence for medical treatment of first year students (freshmen), transfer students, and re-admitted students in their first-semester: Medical certificate for hospitalization with a duration of at least four weeks (issued by the director of the University’s auxiliary hospital or other general hospital) and certificate of hospitalization with a duration of at least four weeks.
- First year students (freshmen), transfer students, and re-admitted students shall not be granted a leave of absence for the first semester after admission unless the absence is due to military service or medical treatment.
- Upon submission of an application for a leave of absence, the student applicant will receive and must retain the filing receipt (for those who submitted the documents in person).
- Application for the leave of absence/return for graduate school students can be submitted via the Internet.